Filo has enabled over 20,000 tutors to successfully impact the lives of students for the better! We are proud of our pedagogy and believe that consistent quality of teaching is essential for anyone to grow as a tutor. Here in this post, we would brief an outline of how to effectively teach on Filo, tutoring guidelines and essential practices for tutors to carry out their noble act of teaching.
These guidelines are not only necessary to follow to be considered as a good standing tutor at Filo, but also help a student have a great learning experience.
We also have a separate post on How to be a “Verified” tutor at Filo here. We recommend all tutors read the verification post and encourage your feedback on the same.
Filo Offerings for a Tutor
Filo as a platform is not just a place where tutors find students, it’s much more than that. As a tutor, you have several ways in which you provide value to the lives of students.
- Micro sessions: Micro sessions on Filo connect you with students who are looking for your expertise on a certain subject matter. This can range from clearing certain concepts, solving problems, clearing doubts etc.
- Private Classes: We also enable private tuitions through the Filo platform and if that’s something that you’re interested in, we have written an article explaining the process here: Want Your Own Private Tuition Classes Online? Follow these steps!
- Live Classes: We conduct live classes that we do frequently and the best tutors on our platform conduct these sessions for students.
- Exam Prep Sessions: Students looking towards studying for a particular exam look for exam prep sessions and we match tutors with expertise in examination domains to such students.
- Counselling Sessions: We also have a counselling section for students to help them breeze through their academic stress.
Necessary Tutoring Guidelines for Filo Tutors
1. Complete Your Profile on Filo
Completing your profile on Filo is one of the first things you should do as a tutor on Filo. This not only helps the student gain more insights about you as a tutor, but this also helps us verify your profile quickly and match you up with students more efficiently. By verification, we mean the initial verification as a tutor when you sign up and not the “verification badge” process. We’ve written a step by step guide to register on Filo as a tutor here: How to be a Filo Tutor Online
Be sure to consider these guidelines while registering as a tutor at Filo:
- Go to the profile section and make sure that you’ve provided all the relevant information.
- Once the candidate successfully registers on the app, the team checks the following details :
- The account is registered with a phone number. Registration with email ID is not allowed.
- The name is clearly mentioned with proper formatting.
- The college name should be correct (better if acronyms are not used) . No accounts will proceed with school names/coaching center names.
- The profile picture should be professional. Avoid uploading pictures in which you are wearing sunglasses or a mask.
- Please upload valid ID documents. Any mismatch with regards to name or photograph will lead to the rejection of the application. Make sure you have a PAN Card while applying.
- The introduction video should clearly show the face of the applicant and should be recorded in a noise-free environment. The assessment will be made on the basis of language, communication skills, presentation, and experience.
- Please ensure there are no grammatical errors or spelling mistakes in the information provided by you.
- The solution video should be stable, clear, and have a proper explanation through audio and writing.
Your application may be rejected if you do not follow these instructions properly. Also, the following reasons might prompt a rejection:
- The tutor has not provided a decent/professional profile picture.
- The video solution does not have proper lighting.
- The solution is incomplete or incorrect.
2. Communication Guidelines on Filo
As you might know, half of the teaching process is just good communication. You can read about effective tutoring practices here. Once you have your communication flow in control, tutoring not only becomes far too easy for the tutor but is a memorable experience for a student as well. We enforce the following guidelines for good communication:
Clean Up Your presentation skills:
Before you go online, please ensure that:
- You have a good internet connection.
- Have access to a proper platform like a table or a bed table.
- Ensure you have ready access to a paper and pen. Please do not ever ask a student to wait while you look for your basic tools.
- If teaching through a phone camera, make sure to set up your phone stand properly.
- Teach in a noise-free surrounding for clarity.
Make sure that you have sufficient lighting. Avoid shadows on the writing area. Also, a few guidelines on page setup is as follows:
The light source should be in front of you. Use natural sunlight or get a proper table lamp.
The desirable setup for a good classroom experience is as follows: Make sure to sit on a table and de-clutter the area before you decide to go online on the application. If you are sitting on your bed, you can use a bed table and the bed is out of the camera’s focus.
Also, refer to the whiteboard usage instructions here:
Please ensure you have legible handwriting and follow the below samples for discerning the good writing from the bad:
Tutors should ensure that the camera is stable and is focused on the writing area. The video should not be hazy/blurred. It is recommended that you use a phone holder/tripod stand.
Good communication is key to a healthy study environment. Not only should you be able to understand the student’s problem, but you should also focus on guiding the student to the answer through effective communication. A few SOPs for good communication are:
Be a complete expert on the topic/ subject you wish to teach:
- Our systems evaluate a tutor on a per topic basis.
- While selecting queries from students, choose the topics which you are completely confident about.
- In case you encounter a bad question please reject the session request and select an appropriate reason.
- In case you encounter a bad experience with a student please ensure you report them on the application.
Ensure you follow these practices for writing:
We encourage you to:
- Make sure that you follow a proper alignment while writing.
- Your handwriting should be readable.
- Use pen markers or bold tip pens (we suggest a 0.7 mm tip pen)
- Make sure that you are sitting at a table while taking the session.
- Use a fresh sheet of paper for solving the doubt of every different student.
- Ensure that you are sitting in a noise-free environment.
- Check your internet connection before marking yourself as ‘Connected’.
- Use a phone stand/tripod for a focused and stable session.
- Using a stylus pen is mandatory on the Green board.
We discourage and highly advise you NOT to:
- Write on margins or borders.
- Keep the teaching area neither overly lit nor dark.
- Avoid sitting in cluttered surroundings
- Don’t use explicit words.
- Avoid using casual/informal language.
- Do not share your phone number or any other personal details with the student.
Other Necessary Guidelines on Filo
We consistently monitor our tutors on several parameters to keep the teaching standards on Filo high, so make sure you follow these guidelines as well.
- Make sure to be in an environment that fosters learning. Do not sit in a place with lots of noise, distracting elements, in short do not teach in a place where you might find it difficult to understand. Be clear and concise with your solution, be sufficiently audible and have a good lighting setup.
- We actively monitor instances of multiple profiles, multi sessions, collusion, identity fraud and other mechanisms of defrauding the Filo platform. Please refrain from participating in any kind of practice that violates the tutoring practices at Filo. We deal with such issues on a serious note and take appropriate measures along with legal actions in such cases.
- We appreciate and award tutors that go above and beyond for a student’s growth. This has always been the reason why over 20,000+ tutors associate with Filo. Be a part of this movement and see yourself become a core influencer in democratizing the education sphere.
So with these guidelines in place, Filo is not just another platform that enables online education but also facilitates a complete learning experience for a student. In case of any doubts, feel free to comment down below and we will answer your query as soon as we can!
Till next time😊